Monday, July 4, 2011

First day of class in Bir

We had our first lesson today. The instructor, Pema Langdrol, is extremely nice. I've been walking around talking to everybody in Tibetan and asking how to say things-- my reading is doing ok, but my speaking needs a little work . Reading and speaking have little to nothing in common!

Class will be four hours a day, with time in the afternoon to practice, relax, and study. The town is very quiet-- although at night there are a lot of dogs barking. I'm excited to discover more and hopefully make some local friends.

Although the culture is different, the people are still people. There are five other students in my class-- all of them are very nice. I look forward to learning with them.

In the background are beautiful wooded mountains. The air is cleaner here. I will write more about the days as they unfold!

No comments: